Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner

Thursday, November 4, 2010

They killed a tree

The little street in front of our apartment building is lined with big trees - I don't know how old but at least 100 years old for certain and maybe even 200? They are beautiful. Sure, they've gone a bit bald now in autumn but even just the bare branches are a welcome sight and give us a feeling of being close to nature, even though we live in the city.

Well, imagine our shock when we woke up this morning to find one tree gone. This is all that's left of it.


Should I or should I not feel silly about crying over a tree? I'm not sure but I am very sad... heartbroken, even. I get tears in my eyes whenever I walk past it. I've even knelt down next to it, put my hand on the stump and said I was so sorry... (Am I mad?)

Apparently it was for security (fire) reasons but the thing is, there was enough space for a fire engine before - between the trees and on the pavement! Ridiculous.

It gets worse when I think that we and the architects had to fight for every change to the apartment and building because the building itself is listed (protected for its historical importance). So the authorities wouldn't even let us replace the 100-year old doors in our apartment for identical but new doors.... but when it comes to chopping down a 100+ year old tree, no one gives a sh**. It's heartless.

I was actually at home yesterday but didn't realise what was going on out there.... If only I had known! I would have glued myself to that tree like a Greenpeace activist!

At least we also got some uplifting news today. Our new kitchen is going to be featured in a little magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment